Originally chartered 1919 – 1952 as Club #545
We are currently researching the history of the Rotary Club of Shanghai – an illustrious club, the second to be established in Asia and the first in China. This is a work in process – but below are some interesting findings so far.
- RC Shanghai Historical Narrative – narrative
- RC Shanghai Historical Overview – narrative
- RCS Post WWII Report to RI - narrative
- Historical Timeline 1919 to date
- History of the Rotary Club of Shanghai – Part II, Far Eastern Rotary Revue Nov 1939
- History of the Rotary Club of Shanghai – Part III, Far Eastern Rotary Revue, Mar 1940
Our Club’s Key Documents
- RCS #545 – 1919
- RCS Club Constitution & By-Laws - 1919
- The Name and Meaning of Rotary in Chinese - 1922
- Rotary Code of Ethics – 1935
In our recent history we also have had a few developments of note.
- The “Expatriate Rotarians and Friends Shanghai” – was formally recognized by the RI Board in June 2001 and given the opportunity to become a “provisional” club
- RCS received its second charter as club #60425 – 8 February 2006
Please contact our club historian if you would like more information – or have a story to tell – about the history of our club (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Shanghai club has a complex history as it was originally chartered in 1919 as the first club in China. Recently it was readmitted to the Rotary world as club #60725, chartered 8 February 2006.
|#545||1 October 1919||Chartered|
|31 December 1943||Charter cancelled|
|27 March 1946||Re-Admitted|
|16 October 1951||Charter cancelled|
|#60725||16 June 2001||Provisional Status Authorized|
|8 February 2006||Chartered|